"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Saturday, January 07, 2006

Visitor from Wisconsin (or Minnesota)



We had a very fine visit from Ms. Angela House of Eau Claire, Wisconsin. She just graduated from college, which is a very good thing to do, and visited for a few days at the end of December (departed January 3) (early in the morning). She had fine experiences such as Phoenix Coyotes hockey, Tempe New Year's Eve Block Party, reading a book outside in 80 degree sunshine, playing with Kelly, hanging out at our Fiesta Bowl party, playing Balderdash, getting a spiffy haircut (or whatever girls call it), playing bump-out (see post below) and many other fabulous adventures.

Photos show an afternoon hike with Patricia, Angie and me.

No comments: