"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Front Yard: Phase One






For whatever reason, here at 11419 N. 43rd Street we have made deferred maintenance into a lifestyle; maybe even an art form. With one exception (the “back room” aka dormitory space), we haven’t undertaken any significant project during our 10+ years here unless it was required by water damage. (Now that I think about it, that reminds me of my childhood home – the living room carpet, draperies and related work resulted from water damage from freezing pipes when we were stranded at Grandpa & Grandma Bormann’s house in Algona in a blizzard in March 1965. Not much else happened. Maybe it’s a historical repeat. But I digress.)

Anyway, we have retained a contractor named Hawkeye Landscaping to remove what little pathetic sprigs of grass remained of our front lawn, convert to desert landscaping, put in a walkway, and all of the related tasks. Yes, the owner is from Cedar Rapids, and yes, he brazenly uses the U of I logo on his trucks, website, and everything else (no doubt without a license from, or royalty payments to, the University). (Take a look at www.Hawkeyelnd.com.) But that’s not why we hired him. We hired him because we were sick of the project and just wanted to get it over with.

Top two photos show the sad pre-project situation; bottom three show today’s accomplishments. The work is supposed to be done by Friday. More to come.

1 comment:

Paul M. Gales said...

Well, the extra driveway is no more. All that brick didn't make any sense to us, though we'll still keep the area available to park a car. Let me tell you, it was a huge job getting it removed. We all assumed the brick was sitting on sand, but it was atop a nice concrete layer. Jackhammer time.