"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Wednesday, August 09, 2006

Tourists Return to AZ



Patricia, Patrick, Paul Jr. and I visited Chicago and various of its suburbs from Thursday (August 3) through Monday (August 7). I'm including a photo from our visit to the new-ish Millenium Park in downtown Chicago, plus a photo of three tourists and one Chicago resident standing near the Chicago River.

Millenium Park was a neat place. One area was set up for performing arts - on the day of our visit, it was some "Silk Road" music. In another area is the famous "bean" - a source of a wide variety of reflections (click on the photo to better see the reflection of our tourists and a bit of skyline). Plus the park has other stuff, including your basic urban bums hogging all the best shady spots. And you can ice-skate in this park in winter. Click this link for an impressive panoramic view of Millenium Park (including the reflective "bean" and ice skaters). (When viewing the panorama, use the "shift" key to zoom in and the "ctrl" key to zoom out; just move the mouse to see the 360 degree panorama plus full up/down views.)

We had a good trip. I'll post more details and some video this weekend.

No comments: