"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Monday, October 16, 2006

If I hadn't seen it . . .



. . . I wouldn't have thought it possible. A quick note about Monday Night Football: it was fun to attend in person. A quick note about the Arizona Cardinals: they have an uncanny ability to find a way to lose. Since our opening day victory (read about it here), there have been three more home games. Each time, our local heroes take what seems to be an insurmountable lead, only to prove it surmountable. Tonight they had the undefeated Chicago Bears beaten up and down the field for 57+ minutes.

The good news is that some pals of Dennis Blaha arranged a major feed stop at the tailgate. Brats, Italian beef, sides. Weather was awesome. The game was very fun in its own way. And they opened the roof (see photo)! At this point, Cardinals fans tend to be fatalistic rather than frustrated or angry. No more home games until November 12, which is good because we could use a recovery period.

I can't stand to write about the game, but you can read about it here.

No comments: