"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Back to school . . .

Patricia and I dropped Paul Jr. off at his apartment on Wednesday, August 15. Mostly because we were hauling a full-size bed down there, we ended up using a U-Haul. Everything went smoothly except it was very hot and very humid and we were moving him in between about 1 and 3p. Bad timing. The apartment looks really nice, on University just west of campus. They completed a ton of construction at ASU even in the last months. He shopped for football tickets, did a few things in the apartment, then we headed home and returned the rental, etc.

Down to Tucson on August 17 (Friday). After firing up my old blackberry Thursday evening as Patrick's phone had pretty much passed on. This move takes two vehicles: EPG uses the '94 Bonneville down there. That thing runs great but has not withstood the Arizona sun. Smooth trip all the way and an easy unload; he's in a nice house on Park just NE of campus, good location. We did just a bit of shopping and then went to eat at a place called Guadalajara Grill. Patrick's pal (Austin) met us there. Very hot, but we very much liked sitting on the patio. Among other amusements, they made up the salsa table-side. (I have a nice-ish photo of this on my phone that I'm having trouble uploading, maybe later. But here at least is a fawning review of the restaurant.) This was all very enjoyable. Easy trip back to Phoenix (though there was a major accident with road closed in the opposite direction, so we were lucky).

No comments: