"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Beautiful hike - and new slideshow method



Patricia and I had a delightful hike on Sunday afternoon (March 9). We drove out to Lost Dutchman State Park (west side of Superstition Mountains) and took the Siphon Draw Trail - a new trail for us, and quite a bit more scenic than anticipated.

Conditions were perfect - high temp around 80. Because of the above average rains, the wild flowers were out in force. Especially the Mexican gold poppies, and lupine.

The trail climbs steadily - about 1000 feet elevation gain - to an area called the "Basin". We used this as our turn-around point. You can climb another 1500 feet to the "Flatiron" but we would need to allot quite a bit more time, haul more water, etc.

The photo looking down between cliffs was taken from the Basin. Click to enlarge, I think it was really quite dramatic.

And how neat is the slideshow technology that our pals at Google have added? By clicking on any photo that you like in the slideshow, you will be taken to that photo on the web album.

It was another fun outing with my energetic hiking pal (who gets credit for these photos).

No comments: