"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Friday, August 29, 2008

Storm photos




We seem to have a genuine monsoon season underway here. For what seems like the first time in years. Conditions were ripe yesterday. Coming down Squaw (I mean Piestewa) Peak around 7:15, it was unusually muggy, with constant lightning off to the southeast. By 11:30, there was a combination of wind, rain, hail like we haven't seen. It was being driven into the patio doors, hard, which also hasn't happened like that (given the 10' plus overhang). Microburst (or whatever the weather yakkers call it)?

Amazingly, we didn't lose power overnight - as did various in the area including MB Stern. One small-ish tree toppled over right outside the dining room, but roots appear intact. So the Blaha bros can fix that one, we think.

Trees down all around the neighborhood, along Cholla, etc. Much of the valley was hit but there have been enough of those news choppers floating around that the visuals here must be pretty good.

BTW, there must have been concentrated activity down by the basketball court, various photos below.


Posted by Picasa

No comments: