"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Monday, February 16, 2009

Elephant Mountain, NBA All Star/Fashion Square, TrenteCinq35

We had an entertaining Valentine's Day weekend.

Went out to Fashion Square mall on Saturday afternoon - Patricia had a return to make, and we were also just poking around. We were surprised at the large number of cars in the parking lot, it being a run-of-the-mill Saturday in an economic downturn. Or so we thought. It turns out that with the NBA All-Star game in town, a big chunk of the attendees were hanging out at the mall. So that gave it a bit different flavor than your normal Arizona/Scottsdale crowd. Magic Johnson was in Nordstrom's in support of his wife's new line of fashion. Etc.

Valentine's dinner at the Belgian restaurant - TrentCinque 35 - the place was packed for once - we are hoping this place thrives, it's small, local, not a chain, delightful. And the Bornem double Abbey ale is not to be missed. For entree I ordered what is touted as a "Flanders favorite" (and I believe it) - beef, apples and prunes braised in a dark Belgian beer.

On Sunday (2/15) the weather was pretty good so we took advantage and finally made our way up to the Spur Cross Ranch - a bit north of Cave Creek, this area was recently bought up and saved, let's say, from developers. Turns out to be a wonderful place for a hike. The trails immediately take you away from the parking lot and other signs of civilization. There is a trail named "Elephant Mountain" - long, lots of up and down, beautiful views, but 6.8 miles total. I wasn't planning to do anything like this, but Patricia kept chugging along and all of a sudden we were finished. We failed to take a camera, so I'm posting someone else's photos. Cave Creek, and views from the back part of the hike.

No comments: