"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))
Sunday, November 08, 2009
We (Choral Union) had a concert
We performed on Sunday, November 1 at Chaparral Christian Church. I ended up liking the program a lot.
There were three Anton Bruckner compositions. PJ did a nice job recording "Os justi" in particular (posted here) - and it is a delight.
English translation:
The mouth of the righteous utters wisdom,
and his tongue speaks what is just.
The law of his God is in his heart;
and his feet do not falter. Alleluia
I read that for this piece, "Bruckner created an extraordinary motet in the Lydian mode, which achieves striking harmonic effects without ever using a single sharp or flat note." It is the Mass part known as the "Gradual" - which I believe disappeared post Vatican II (i.e. quite awhile ago).
Another highlight was a Te Deum by a contemporary composer - Ron Nelson - this was quite a challenge for a once-a-week choir, one of the more difficult pieces we've taken on. But it was exciting to learn and exciting, if not stressful, to perform.
And the composer even showed up and expressed compliments for our performance, which was nice of him on both counts. CPG 'n me posed with Mr. Nelson.
No comments:
Post a Comment