"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Saturday, May 07, 2011

Peckvillercher

The Luxembourg knick-knack market is not nearly as well-developed as that of some other European countries. I don't think there are all that many items that folks here in the U.S. generally associate with the Grand Duchy.

Which makes it all the nicer that Patricia followed up with our (extended) family's #1 contact in Luxembourg - one Claude Lanners - to improve our supply of Peckvillerchers here in Arizona. My parents have given us a few over the years, but the quality of those available via the Wisconsin Luxembourg fest seems to have diminished.

Peckvillerchers are delightful little whistles shaped like birds - associated with a Luxembourg town where leftovers at the clay works were used to make them. Now associated with Easter. To operate: just blow in the tail.

Claude knows his Peckvillerchers - as we have learned (through a link he provided to this website) - the town of Nospelt is the traditional supplier of these delightful little whistles, and hosts a festival annually on Easter Monday.

Top photo shows our four treasures (as always, click photo to enlarge).

Bottom photo - one example - each is marked with "11" (which I'll boldly guess refers to "2011") and with the name of the town of Nospelt. (Photographer's Easter-themed prop described here.)

We're grateful to have these . . . perhaps future generations will appreciate also?

More on Claude to come in a future post.

Here's Nospelt:


View Larger Map

No comments: