"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Sunday, November 13, 2011

Test video (Aster)

I previously mentioned how much we enjoyed our November 6th Minneapolis lunch at Aster Cafe.

Neither here nor there . . . but I had taken a short test video (22 seconds) during lunch with our (relatively) new camera (Canon ELPH 500HS).  Have liked the still photos quite a bit; now - with one experiment behind us - I'm optimistic about the video capabilities as well.  For a point-and-shoot, it's pretty rare to be able to zoom while in video mode; plus it's full 1080p.  And look at the nice job it did with very difficult lighting conditions in this short clip.  (Try it full screen.)  I still like the way this quartet sounded . . .



These devices are simply amazing . . . I think back to the video equipment we lugged around (with separate lighting) in the early 80s . . . ridiculous progress.

No comments: