"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Saturday, December 31, 2011

Holiday (quick) round-up

We wrapped up 2011 with a bunch of fun stuff.  Quite similar to prior years, actually.

Started holiday things with the POC + Nicole visit mentioned here, and the Christmas concert mentioned here. 

Zinc Bistro
Patricia and I did a little shopping on December 22, and then stopped for a surprise (and leisurely) lunch at Zinc Bistro.  Then wandered around the shops in that area for awhile, stopped back for coffee (French press, of course) at Zinc, then home.  Dinner at Vincent's that eve (OK food, very nice time).  A fine day.

Rokerij
Patrick and Kerry arrived for the holidays on December 22/23.  Christmas Eve dinner at Rokerij.  Christmas Day dinner at home - our cooking crew truly outdid themselves.  Card games, board games, movies, etc. throughout.  MB hosted for dinner December 27.  Checked out the PJr-Nedda wedding site on one of our outings (this was on December 28); followed by lunch at Fuego Bistro (out in the sun on the patio of course as this was a gorgeous day).  Followed by bocce ball at the park. 

New Year's Eve - much enjoyed the evening; the kids (if I can still use that term) went downtown shortly after dinner; we had friends over 'til midnight, some nice beers, etc.

Unfortunately this did have to end, as Patrick and Kerry made their returns on January 1/2.
 
i-team at wedding site
checking out wedding site
bocce ball at our underused park . . . I think we (K and me) won.



 2011 = very fine year.  Again.  

No comments: