"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Friday, October 12, 2012

Flagstaff - Lockett's Meadow (October 5-7, 2012)

The hike from Lockett's Meadow up to the Inner Basin has been something of a tradition; I think our first hike here was in 1989.  Our last visit was in 2009 (summarized here, with some older photos).

In the aspen-switchback zone.
Then there was a pretty massive fire north of Flagstaff, and the road leading up to Lockett's Meadow was shut down sometime in 2010.  Good news:  the road reopened in September 2012.

So we took a trip to Flagstaff.  Did the hike on Saturday, October 6.  Presumably as a result of the fire, they rerouted the trail - all for the good, we think.  The trail now features an amazing stretch of switchbacks with mild elevation gain through a huge stand of nearly 100% aspens.  The effect is dazzling.

Plus we love hanging around Flagstaff - have figured out the restaurants and hotel that work best.  Delightful dinners at Tinderbox, lunch at Criollo and Cuvee 928, breakfast at Macy's, Lumberyard Brewery visits, etc. I enjoy traveling with my little pal.

Click any photo to enlarge all . . .

Taken from window at end of hallway right outside our hotel room.  Morning of hike.

A few aspens hadn't changed color.

End of trail - Inner Basin.

PJ in aspen-switchback zone.

Inner Basin scene.

PJ scampering into a blaze of color.

I love pictures of winding paths.





No comments: