"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Thursday, January 03, 2013

EMG's birthday

My Dad's 84th birthday is today.

A thought that always bears repeating:  it's a wonderful, wonderful thing to have a great Dad.  And how nice is it to have him still healthy, still willing-and-able to theorize-on-demand?  I'm lucky.

I always liked the below photo:  EMG and his first grandson (that would be Chris).  August 1, 1982.  With CPG in tow:  EMG seems pretty confident about the prospects for his dynasty.  (Or am I misinterpreting that expression?)

EMG and a contented CPG, 8/1/82.  Living room ("parlor") on farmhouse.
EMG attired in customary "Big Smith" overalls.
Lamp in background courtesy of "Father Theobald."  

Based on the date, Patricia and I (with Nicole (<15 months old) and Chris (<four months old)) must have taken a quick trip from our Glenview, IL townhouse out to the farm shortly after finishing the Illinois bar exam.

Happy #84.  (For prior EMG birthday musings, click here, here, here, here and here.)

(from back of photo):





No comments: