"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Sunday, March 31, 2013

My Mom celebrated her 85th birthday today

The milestone-ish birthday took place on Easter Sunday (March 31).

No new concepts here - I just will note, again, that it's among the very, very finest things in one's life to have a loving, supportive mother.  I've benefited from this for many, many years now.

We had such a fun time at her 80th birthday (described here, and also here) - hard to believe that was five years ago already.  (Not to mention these few remarks from seven years ago).

Happy birthday to a great Mom.

with my mom at Nicole's and POC's delightful wedding reception (ASU) (3/25/11)

No comments: