"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Wednesday, October 09, 2013

Oregon trip notes #4: the rest of our trip

Final post from our 2013 Oregon adventures (a bunch of photos):

PJ exploring reproduction of Ft. Clatsop - Lewis & Clark expedition wintered here.  Interesting in its own right, particularly interesting to us after having visited Monticello earlier this year.



Fort Stevens - coastal defenses for WWII - Japanese ships actually lobbed some shells here - I think one of the first bombardments in mainland U.S. since maybe the War of 1812?  Interesting indeed, though no need to spend a ton of time here . . . 

Goonies house - Astoria, Oregon.  I heard (from POC) that they filmed a movie here.

PJ admiring Ramona Falls.

Sandy River scenery - on Ramona Falls hike.

Panorama from Timberline Lodge (one of our favorite spots).

Mirror Lake, with Mt. Hood in background.


Full Sail tasters, surprisingly good.  Hood River, Oregon.

Hair of the Dog tasters, unsurprisingly good.  Portland.
Tasting at Fort George Brewery, Astoria, Oregon.

Cascade Brewery - sour beers here were a delight.  Portland.





No comments: