"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Tuesday, August 18, 2015

Laguna/Stone

Reprising two trips that we like.

Photographs well, eh?


Sixth annual trip to Pacific Edge Hotel in Laguna Beach (last year here) - we don't tire of wandering the beach, the town, the shops, the restaurants.  Or just sitting on a balcony (juts right over the incoming surf) and looking out over the Pacific.  I predict we'll return.

Sitting on balcony just before getting ready to wander out for dinner . . . 

Then we drove down to San Diego to join the crew assembling for our second annual trip to the Friday night "brewer's reception" at some festival sponsored by Stone Brewery (last year here).  Stone really does an excellent job with its beers.  Food lines seemed more manageable this year - nice event with a very entertaining crew.  Lots of photos taken, but not by us.  But I gathered a few.






Our DD is patient.  Her navigator, less so.


Reception post-mortem.

No comments: