"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Tuesday, June 14, 2016

tribal caps, and more

As D'back promotions go - this one caught our attention.  (Especially CPG's attention, though his rigorous travel schedule prevented his attendance).  D'backs offered a "tribal cap" to the first 20,000 customers - a fine-looking piece of head-wear.  Still - that wasn't really enough - POC's influence is vast, but not vast enough to get hats for all, unless we actually went early and stood in line.  Not an attractive prospect in mid-June.



Then the deal was sweetened - POC comes through with discounted tickets for the first-ever "Burgers & Beers" event that same evening - as you might speculate, this features burgers and beers - and a tribal hat!  So PJ, NOC, PJr and I scurry down for the (Alison-driven) event - at the restaurant just west of the stadium.

OK, we don't really know these folks (save one) . . . but I rather adore the trophy they won.
The "burgers" portion of the evening was much better than expected - five respectable local restaurants competing for a trophy based on customer votes - and they did a great job.  As for the beers, we approached this Bud-sponsored event with understandable trepidation - but with the recent acquisition of Four Peaks, that aspect also turned out well.  PJ was a great sport throughout, and we thriftily rescued her beer-tickets from wastage.  Oddly enough, a restaurant that doesn't even include a burger on the menu - The Mission - won.  

And we also had a baseball game to attend.  A fun evening, to say the least.  


No comments: