"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Sunday, March 12, 2017

Spur Cross 2017

PJ and I took a short hike up in the Spur Cross area in the late afternoon/early evening of March 10 - this is one of our very favorite places.  We took the Metate Trail - which pretty much travels along Cave Creek - our round trip was a little over four miles.

Lots of rain recently so the creek was busy, and plenty of green.  The only challenge:  fading light not optimal for photography-by-mobile-phone.  But trust us, it was quite lovely.

PJ on a creek crossing that did not involve a rock scramble.  (She skitters well where necessary.)

Why it's named the Metate Trail.

Early in the hike  . . . 

Hikes-with-water are so rare in this part of Arizona.

Moonrise . . . tried to catch reflection in the water.

Some amazing saguaros along the trail . . . getting a bit darker now.

No comments: