EMG's core financial strategies seem to be:
--never spend money on oneself
--make do with what's at hand (or as Pete Kirsch might have put it, "wear out the old stuff first")
--relentless generosity with charities (primarily St. Joe Parish, Garrigan) and we kids
[--in later decades, consult with SEG!]
[As to EMG's financial strategy #1: I was happy to hear that EMG recently treated himself to a new pickup! Then I learned that "new" perhaps wasn't the right term - it's a 1989 Dodge pickup (and priced accordingly). Hardly frivolous spending but at least it was something . . . and the "new" pickup at least is a couple decades newer than the often-functional pickup he's been using for so long.]
Farming - especially corn shelling and hauling but also field work to a lesser extent - allowed me to work side-by-side with EMG during every summer from mid-grade school through the end of college. So I spent many-many hours as a co-worker with EMG (or, more accurately and appropriately, a flunky) - in addition to the normal "being around your dad" stuff that takes place in the home. That was a lot of EMG-exposure for me, it flavored me, and taught me - a lot - and I'm quite happy about that.
![]() |
| EMG here 52 years later with almost the entire crew from the 1965 photo above - though with Therese and not Mary - in this photo from March 2017. |
![]() |
| And EMG's crew is expanding - something I trust and hope EMG enjoys thinking about every now and then. Here are some (but certainly not all) of next gens (also from March 2017). |




No comments:
Post a Comment