"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Luxembourg festival

OK this happened nearly 2,000 miles from here in Phoenix, but I like the picture, and I like that these fine Luxembourg-connected folks traveled from St. Joe (IA), Glenview (IL), St. Paul (MN), Eau Claire (WI) and Nome (AK) to attend the 2017 version of the annual Luxembourg Festival held in Belgium, Wisconsin (weekend of August 11-13).

Our group is posed in the Luxembourg American Cultural Center, standing beneath a stylized "tree" hanging with photos of Luxembourg immigrants.  (As I understand it, a small fee entitles you to hang a photo, plus select immigrant families are honored yearly.  My mom of course also loved this kind of thing, and the Gales and Bormann families were featured a few years back.)

L-R Ernest M. Gales, Romie & Joy Gales, Therese Gales, Alison & Barb Haag, Carol Gales








At left is the original photo from which the above version was cropped (received via text message) - shows quite a bit more of the "tree".

Of course I checked out the original photo quite closely, as explained per zoom/caption below.

In a way, a fourth generation was overseeing the three generations in attendance . . . nice.




Didn't take long to find - at top left portion of the photo - wedding portraits of
my estimable grandparents - (L-R) Veronica Dockendorf and Ernest J. Gales, and
Philomena Kohlhaas and Mike Bormann.





















No comments: