"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Thursday, October 05, 2017

D'backs postseason (two words not expected to be used together this year)

As the years pass, I find that I like baseball more and more.  This despite pace-of-play issues.  Positive changes:  "statcast" information is amazing; the super-slo-motion cameras let us see things previously unseen.

The fun has been much enhanced by POC's connection to the D'backs, and POC & NOC living right by the stadium.  Super-convenient (and cost-effective) for tickets, parking, fun before and after.  Works great.

NOC had a fine pre-game party for us.



2017 expectations for D'backs were low, but the team got off to a fast start, navigated some ups and downs, and eventually clinched a wild-card spot - meaning a one-game playoff with the Colorado Rockies.

most of our crew . . . 











Via POC, a group of us bought tickets for the wild-card game - held October 4, 2017.  Not that I've attended many high-profile sporting events - but I'm quite sure this was the most fun we've ever had a live sporting event.  D'backs won - which was important - but (per line score below) - while they always maintained a lead, they never could quite put away the game.  Long game, exciting throughout.  The single-elimination format certainly puts the pressure on both teams.  Large/lively crowd; our group was fun per usual.

our vantage point . . . full house










Within a couple days we were traveling to visit Kerry & Luis, so we missed the championship series games v. Dodgers; that didn't go so well.  But a fun year.

No comments: