"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Tuesday, December 12, 2017

Romie's here!


a big change for this little family

What really is there to say when the very-first representative of a new generation arrives?

Roman Christopher Gales was born on 7 December 2017.  Congratulations and thanks to PJr and Nedda.

ahh 
As I sat holding Roman for the first time, somehow the feeling of generational continuity (don't know how to describe it exactly) was running pretty strong - here I am literally sitting right in the mid-point of a chain linking the only five generations of my/our family that I'll ever know - in a hospital room with my son present, and holding his son, and thinking about my father, and his father before him - thinking of (and beyond grateful for) the women who made all this happen (two of them present in the room with us) - I've known each of them so well and they've each been so central in my little world! - anyway it yields some quiet-deep mixture of gratitude and peacefulness and perhaps feeling just a bit of new/indirect responsibility as the tiny (well, not that tiny, actually) fellow sleeps in that peaceful newborn-way.  I had the very good fortune to live close by both of my grandfathers and see them regularly - I thought about both of my grandfathers while sitting with Romie - they, and EMG, set a daunting standard for being a grandfather. Maybe something like "mostly stay out of the way while being present"?  Lots to learn in this new role, we'll see how it goes.  I don't think that generational continuity-feeling will disappear anytime soon.

PJ seems to know how to handle these little folk!


And of course it's quite marvelous watching my little wife handle RCG and sing him the same little songs that I heard so often with our five in the 1980s.

We're happy that Romie's here.  We can't wait to watch him grow up.

the kid passes inspection




good timing:  Romie showed up just before Sreedhar had to head back to India




three winners; KVG and Beth correctly betting on Palmer's bday



No comments: