"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Friday, August 10, 2018

dual citizens

I can scarcely believe it.  On 10 August 2018 we return from a trip to Arizona Wilderness to discover in our mailbox the envelope with Luxembourg citizenship designations for Nicole, Patrick and me!!  (And there still is time for others to join in!)


Practical value appears nil.  But the process was easy thanks to Carol et al.  Quite a few other family members are completing the process (including the fine group mentioned here).  And the symbolic value is entirely excellent - my mom and Claude Lanners must be smiling down at us with our little dual citizenship achievement here.  I like having that connection even more than I had anticipated.

Due to some administrative changes we were not required to travel to Luxembourg for the in-person interview.  Which is convenient.  But we are disappointed not to have that focal point for a visit.  (To be sure we shall find other reasons to visit, hopefully sooner than later.)

Next:  EU passports.

No comments: