"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Sunday, August 28, 2005

Scottsdale Princess


PJ and I spent the weekend at the Fairmont Scottsdale Princess Resort (it’s in north Scottsdale, about 15 minutes from our house). We were talking about taking a longer trip sometime during the summer (after all, we did celebrate our 25th anniversary this year), but work schedules and other stuff intervened. The Princess is a gorgeous resort and we had a wonderful, relaxing weekend. (On a less esoteric note, we also had a pretty unbelievable discount on the room resulting from a Phoenix chamber of commerce relationship.) Nice views of the McDowell Mountains from our room. Among other highlights, we had dinner at La Hacienda on Friday evening – it’s right on the property, and bills itself as the only AAA “Four Diamond” Mexican restaurant in North America – how do you beat that? The prickly pear margaritas are really nice (as a point of reference, they were easily competitive with the Z Tejas variety (which several blog invitees have sampled)). I had the Filete al Cilantro, and PJ had the Costillas de Cordero. Check out the descriptions: http://www.fairmont.com/FA/en/CDA/Home/Hotels/Facilities/CDRestaurantDetail/0,1130,facility%25255Fcode%253DREST%252B%2526property%25255Fcd%253DSCP%2526property%25255Fseq%253D100129%2526facility%25255Fseq%253D1005333,00.html. Ridiculously good.

To top off a fine weekend, PJr and EPG both came home for a visit today. Both will head back to their campuses tomorrow morning. Kelly was pretty much alone over the weekend except for some visits by the Helstons. They report that Kelly was very relaxed and playful in the backyard (they couldn't find our house key and Kelly didn't let them inside). Unlike her usual behavior after we’re away (see August 21 entry below), the dog was in fine spirits on our return. I think I write about the dog too much, but I do find her lifestyle interesting.

No comments: