"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Monday, September 26, 2005

CPG's new wheels




CPG has been stringing along a badly behaving 1995 Ford Explorer for quite some time now. It has been an underperformer relative to its mileage and most other standards of car behavior. In the Phoenix market, at least, the new car deals have been pretty compelling recently. He found a deal on a 2005 Kia Sorento and moved on it (especially because for some reason the dealership seemed willing to give good value for the expiring Explorer). I think he did get a good deal. It helped that the dealers are anxious to clear out the 2005 models (though for this model there is no difference between the 2005 and 2006 versions). A review of the 2005 Sorento from a “leading publication” is at http://www.edmunds.com/new/2005/kia/sorento/100477310/review.html. Those Koreans have figured out how to make good vehicles (finally). But their problems from the 1990s keep the prices lower and the warranties longer than the competition, by a meaningful margin.

You might wonder why Patricia and I went along to the dealer? Well, sometimes we’re looking for something to do. And we thought we had fun. We got in on the first trip!

BTW, note the Cardinals’ logo on the rear window of the Explorer. Another reason to jettison the vehicle quickly.

1 comment:

Paul M. Gales said...

Good eyes, Nicole. But did you really have to ask?