"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Friday, December 23, 2005

Holiday decorating 2005



OK, we went through our pretty much ritualistic holiday decorating routine again this year. Here’s the routine:
  • The work is done over Thanksgiving weekend.

  • All workers were present this year, including our out-of-town daughters.

  • Basic assignments work as follows:

  • Patrick, Kerry and Christopher have primary responsibility for putting decorations on the tree.

  • I’m in charge of finding and bringing in boxes from the garage (now largely delegated), getting the tree up and dealing with bad lights (now largely delegated) and hanging a few strings of lights outside (not accomplished in 2005). I also find CDs with Christmas music (predominantly ND Glee Club 1977 Christmas album, Jessye Norman’s Christmas album, and a CD by the Los Angeles Master Chorale.)

  • Patricia opens the boxes of ornaments and generally directs the tree decorating process.

  • Paul Jr. basically sits around and supervises his mother so that she doesn’t miss (intentionally or otherwise) a single ornament.

  • Nicole hangs lights over the fireplace and kitchen counter, puts up the stockings and distributes around the house the countless little Christmas items that have accumulated over the years.

  • Generally the final task is to hang a streamer along the rail up the staircase. Staffing is variable. Christopher and Patrick took the lead on this in 2005.

The end result is quite nice, as you can see. Merry Christmas.

No comments: