"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Sunday, January 21, 2007

Freezing

It's been ridiculously cold here. About a week ago, we had the hardest freeze in the Phoenix area since 1990. Many of our plants were damaged. Check out the browned-out hisbiscus and the whited-out fern. (Both should be fine though will need cutting back). Lots more of our plants look even worse, including the bougainveilla (or however that's spelled, I understand the plant is named for some French military guy).

Patricia had to work today (she had a crazy-busy week) so I was on my own. Made for a long Sunday. But I did sweep out the swimming pool and took care of some other noxious tasks. It actually snowed in the northern part of town (meaning there were a few crystals in the air) and in the higher elevations, including nice amounts on the Superstitions.

Here's an oddity. We've already had two left ankle injuries from playing basketball in the last couple weeks (discussed here and here). This week Patrick reports that he also messed up his left ankle playing basketball. I'm hoping for photographic confirm. This is getting creepy, and CPG -- as last man standing -- better watch out.

We saw our second good movie in a row over the weekend, discussed here.

No comments: