"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Friday, March 09, 2007

A Photo I Like

During our visit to St. Joe a couple weeks ago, we saw a photo that I had forgotten about, but really like. At the top of this post is a cropped version 0f the photo showing my grandfather, Ernest J. Gales, with his dog "Joe Boy." (At bottom is the full photo plus the notations I put on the reverse side when discussing the photo with Ernest J. some 25-30 years ago.)

So this was taken sometime in 1915 or 1916. Everyone shown in the full photo, including the dog, appears to be in excellent spirits, and then some. It's interesting to see a photo from that time of the gravel road that became U.S. 169. The photographer (who was it anyway?) had expert timing to catch Ray Gales standing on his head (though Aloysius Gales appears to have been caught at a less flattering moment).

The dog that we had as kids in the 1960s was given the same name -- "Joe Boy" -- by Ernest J himself. I guess he took naming rights without paying a fee or probably even asking. I don't have a great photo of Joe Boy #2 at hand, though this 1965 photo - 50 years after Joe Boy #1 - gives a look at him. (Back row L-R me, Steve, Cecilia (in sweet hat), Ernest M; front row Barb, Charlie, Dolores.) Standing in front of the '63 Ford Country Sedan. Not sure why most of us appear outfitted in Sunday best, yet EMG is in business casual.

Anyway, Joe Boy #2 showed up from nowhere and was a fine dog for us for many years. Loved chasing cars.

The recycling of the Joe Boy name seemed to start a trend. Later there was a female dog named Max; its male successor was named (of course) Maximilian. The lack of originality hit bottom with two dogs named Schmutt 1 and Schmutt 2.

Anyway, mostly I like the top photo showing Ernest J and his friend, now 90+ years ago.

As always, click on photos to enlarge.

No comments: