"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Friday, May 04, 2007

Two Weeks from Today

A reminder that our 20-person group hikes down to Phantom Ranch via the South Kaibab trail: two weeks from today. I think everything is lined up. We have a 10-person cabin and a bunch of dorm spaces.

Steak dinner Friday night at the Phantom Ranch canteen; "hiker's stew" dinner lined up for Saturday night.

Hiking back up via the Bright Angel trail after 5am breakfast on Sunday.

Distinguished visitors flying in from various points to join the group.

It should be all good.

Photos: hiking group getting ready to take the shuttle from Maswik Lodge to the South Kaibab trailhead (May 2004); Patricia took a photo of the six of us lining up for a South Rim photo (September 1990) (looks like some of the group found the weather a bit chilly, others not so much).

No comments: