"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Saturday, April 12, 2008

I think we are committed to this remodeling project now.





Here are a few photos showing progress today in taking down the kitchen and laundry room.

Photos 1 and 2 are "after" and "before" shots taken standing in the family room and looking straight into the kitchen.

Photos 3 and 4 are "after" and "before" shots taken standing in the doorway from the kitchen into the dining room, and looking back into the kitchen.

Photo 5 was taken today standing in the garage and looking toward what used to be the entry into the laundry room.

Construction services courtesy of one Mark Mitchell. Grunt work courtesy of his son and two of his teammates from some hockey team on which he plays.

Patricia was working so missed out on today's "fun." Tomorrow she works again, and we get to test life without a kitchen, starting with her 5:30a breakfast call. Looks to be no problem. At least for the first few days.

Forgot to mention, we're bricking over the doggie door.

No comments: