"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Who needs the heavy bag?

An accomplished, or perhaps aspiring, videographer (Mr. Patrick O'Connell) submitted this clip showing some fun from way back during the Easter weekend. Going back to the March 25 post (via this link, then scroll down to 3/25), you will recall that we went to a spring training game and otherwise had a fine time with guests etc. back then.

I had mentioned that folks had fun with Wii video games. As illustrated by the video clip below. NMG here displays something. It could be called skill with Wii boxing. It looks fatiguing yet somehow effective. Note how the boxer picks up significant hand speed as the bout progresses.



Speaking of Wii, I might note that a series of Wii bowling matches known only as "POD v. POC" took place during that same weekend. No video exists, which probably is a good thing. A rematch, sort of a Rumble in the Jungle II, is inevitable, and it can only be hoped that the rematch offers a fraction of the action that has been burned on trash talking, trash text messaging, trash scoreboard messaging, etc.

No comments: