"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Tuesday, May 06, 2008

Remodel - patio doors etc.

One of the goals of this project was to open up the south end of the family room and take advantage of the view into the back yard. Plus replace the existing patio doors. We ended up getting these Pella doors that seem to do the trick really nicely.

Top photo shows that area of the family room, pre-project.

Second photo shows the new door area, cut and ready.

Third photo shows Mark and Sean enjoying knocking out a wall.

Fourth photo shows the Pella installers at work.

Fifth photo shows the doors from the interior. Sixth photo shows the doors from the exterior.

Seventh photo - a separate concept - shows the doggie door in its final throes.

No comments: