"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Sunday, June 28, 2009

Father's Day dinner

My dinner was late by a week due to schedule conflicts. But it turned out well worth the wait.

We were watching some show about German food a couple weeks ago, and they were discussing "sauerbraten." Which made me remember that PJ was quite successful with the dish way back when. (We don't remember whether she's made it since we moved to Phoenix.) Anyway, I had also enjoyed this mightily at Karl Ratzsch's in Milwaukee, as well as her previous successes.

The beef had marinated since Wednesday. I was reading wikipedia while she cooked; the name translates literally to "sour roast meat." (But wait; sauerkraut translates to "sour cabbage." So when you call a German a Kraut you are calling him or her a cabbage? I thought Russians loved cabbage. Confusing.)

We also learned that this originally was prepared with horse meat back in whatever century.

Authentic and awesome sides: red cabbage, spatzle, homemade bread. I went out and found some German beers (the double bock selected by CPG was best in show) and a nice Reisling.

Beyond that: apple dumplings for dessert.

I also have to note that PJ bought some Belgian beers for me, as yet unopened. Best in show appears to be Cuvee van de Keizer Blauw - brewed once per year on the birthday of Charles V. I had to chuckle because I was in the midst of reading this book's recounting of Charles V's activities just when receiving the gift - including his competition with Suleiman for the title "Caesar" ("Keizer"), as commemorated on this bottle. Which I almost hate to open up.

No comments: