"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Thursday, June 04, 2009

Jerome, Arizona (May 24 - 26, 2009)

Patricia and I always enjoy visiting Jerome, Arizona. Most recently in September 2007. The kids had given us a Christmas gift in 2007 for Jerome adventures - and it being our 29th wedding anniversary on 5/24 - it seemed like a good time to take advantage.

So we took our usual route (after coffee) on May 24 - drove up through Prescott and had lunch there (Gurley Street Grill). Walked around an art show on the Prescott courthouse grounds, and eventually drove up to Jerome. Checked into the Jerome Grand Hotel - a marvelous place. Relaxed, watched a movie about the Enola Gay (Memorial Day weekend), walked the town just a bit, and eventually had dinner at The Asylum. I don't know how they're doing it - this place is simply fantastic. I had the "grilled achiote rubbed pork tenderloin, with chipotle apricot glaze, brown rice and steamed vegetables;" my dining companion had the "mesquite bacon wrapped filet mignon with a cabernet demi-glaze" (same sides). These dishes are not all that unique (well, maybe chipotle apricot), but the execution is flawless. This also is the one place I regularly drink wine - nice flights of Arizona wines. Wow.

Spent Monday (May 25) eating and walking. Big breakfast at the Mile High; walked the town continuously; big lunch at Grapes; then took a hike on the Wood Chute Trail. The weather was almost monsoon-like, though it's a bit early on the calendar. Drizzly rain at certain points; lightning and the threat of actual storms. But we made out just fine. Repeat performance for dinner - everything the same, it was that good.

Tuesday (5/26) - town was much quieter as the weekend was over and most tourists gone. Breakfast, some shopping and walking, then up to Sedona for lunch at the Hideaway; walked around a bit there and then headed for home. Our one mediocre meal was at The Spotted Donkey in Carefree. The trip was v. fun.

No comments: