"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Evolution of hiking gear



















One last post from our recent Flagstaff hike: I couldn't help notice the changes in hiking gear over a 20-year period, as modeled by my pretty little wife:

2009: hiking socks and hiking boots
1989: white socks and gym shoes

2009: pants with high-tech moisture-wicking fabric; legs zip off to convert to shorts as needed
1989: standard-issue sweat pants

2009: sunglasses
1989: squint as needed

2009: digitAL camera
1989: heavyweight SLR (not shown because it was in use)

2009: high-tech hiking poles
1989: big stick found randomly on the trail

2009: Camelbak (hydration system)
1989: Kidonback (dead weight)

No comments: