"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Gift

Here's a photo of the label from one of my Father's Day (2010) gifts from PJ. A very unusual Scotch (at least by my experience), much enjoyed.

The Wikipedia article about the distillery provides a bit of background. It indicates that the whiskey tastes "peaty" - which I think might be a bit of an understatement. I typically am unable to describe the flavors that others can so boldly attribute to wines (and even beers these days), but this stuff absolutely had a smoky cast to it.

I found it interesting that the wikipedia article mentions that this whiskey is used quite often in Johnny Walker blends.

I liked the Caol Ila straight, not even a splash, with some parmigiana reggiano and a few plain crackers - a wonderful way to get ready for dinner.

Below is the map showing distillery location - I think this might be a fun tour someday.




View Larger Map

No comments: