"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Tuesday, October 05, 2010

I can has cheezburger?

In the category of internet memes, the cat that requested a cheeseburger certainly has had staying power, at this site. Typically it involves odd pictures of cats with captions in mangled English; quite often it's funny. I was a very regular visitor for quite awhile; unfortunately the site has become much more cluttered, and I seldom stop by.

But I did have occasion to think about the site last week in connection with a video posted there (cat swiping at toy helicopter).

That reminded me of a photo posted at the site some time back that struck me as funny, even if doesn't involve cats.

It doesn't seem that a DNA test is necessary.

An alternate caption was: “I’m sorry you had to find out like this… I feel like such an ass."








No comments: