"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Friday, November 26, 2010

Thanksgiving images (random)

Much enjoyed our Thanksgiving. Typical awesome food primarily courtesy of PJ with big assist from Chris; Rick & Laura & David stopped by for the evening ('twas fun); long weekend of leftovers, football games, visiting; etc.

Top photo: PJ is pretty much an expert at making the "buns" per recipe handed down I suppose from Grandma Bormann (and beyond) to Helen Stella.

Middle photo: package from Rita Zintak: she figured out long ago that AZ desert region lacks traditional fall color (though there are some changes, per here) , and always sends a package of leaves. These end up as part of Thanksgiving centerpiece. Nice! (She takes liberties with our address - Easter missives are addressed to the "Gales Hutch", for example - but this "Turkey Farm" concept was a new one.)

Bottom photo: Friday morning treat (after PJ was long gone to work): apple dumpling, coffee, newspaper (well, the AZ Republic). (Looking at the photo, it strikes me that it's both comfortable and slightly disconcerting to think that that I've been eating off the same stoneware with the same utensils for 30+ years now.)

No comments: