I will post a bit more about this year's Christmas performance - which was a very fine experience - in the near future. Something new (for CPG and me, but not for Choral Union): we performed with the Phoenix Symphony Orchestra. (As much as we like working with the ASU orchestra and look forward to doing it in the future - yes, there is a difference with professionals.) (Plus we hit four different downtown restaurants or bars in the space of 25 hours between, before or after (but never during) performances, so that also was fun.)There were lots of great moments throughout. For tonight I'm wondering: how much of the particular snapshot described below can I retain in memory? (And for how long?)
The first half of the concert included the enduring "Alleluia" from Mozart's "Exultate, jubilate" (there are tons of versions on Youtube, here's a link to a Joan Sutherland version). Everybody knows the song, perhaps to the point of treating it (most incorrectly) as a cliche; the piece is included on a gazillion Christmas albums.
The setting:
- Far enough into the concert so that the audience is fully engaged, looking forward to next item
- Conductor briefly introduces the song and the soloist, turns to the symphony
- Applause as soloist enters
- Soprano soloist = young, talented, beautiful
- Lights are dimming
- The opening bars as played by PSO - so familiar, yet so very different when heard live via professional orchestra
- While the applause continues and then starts to fade as the audience settles in
Not entirely sure why that particular snapshot struck me - our chorus wasn't even involved in this particular piece. But wow.
Perhaps this kind of thing becomes old hat for persons who are in high-level performances all the time; I doubt it, but don't know. I'm certainly not worried that the thrill will ever wear out for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment