"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Tuesday, February 01, 2011

Dolores did a nice job; a big day nears

The other day we received the invitations for the Nicole-POC wedding (click to enlarge).

Prepared by my sister Dolores, who continues to be quite good at this sort of thing. I like all the representations of Arizona-in-general, ASU campus, Chicago, White Sox baseball, frosting snitcher, etc. (I only had one question, POC's right hand seems to be in the wrong place.)

And then there's the RSVP card for wedding guests to fill out; it features the old ring-in-an egg trick that I understand worked semi-effectively in the hands of a semi-awake recipient. (But now that I think of it: if POC had had this kind of RSVP card available at the time, he could have handed it to Nicole and just had her fill out her response; could have skipped the whole ring thingy.)

Anyway, we're looking forward to everyone arriving here in AZ pretty soon. In the meantime, we will be seeing Nicole, Kerry and POC in about a week as planning progresses. Fun.

No comments: