"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Sunday, February 06, 2011

Super Bowl = great time to run errands

But it almost was creepy. Patricia was at work all day Sunday, and our roommates had gone over to a Super Bowl party hosted by Mr. Jon Blaha.

Leaving me to my own devices. Among other things, I ran some errands to a couple grocery stores. The Albertson's parking lot was eerie - almost no cars, plus the normal noise of traffic at the Tatum & Shea intersection was almost entirely missing. There were very few customers inside the stores. It made me think of one of those 1950s movies about a nuclear attack.

This book had discussed how the early 20th century British authorities encouraged football/soccer as a rallying point for a country that had largely lost religion as a unifying force. Here in the US, our state religion (a/k/a the NFL) clearly is doing just fine.

(BTW, we did watch the last six minutes of the game after PJ got back from work. I was happy GB won, on the theory that my nieces in Wisconsin would enjoy it. Not to mention their dad.)

No comments: