"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Thursday, May 03, 2012

ASU law school graduation (this generation might be done with school?)


Nedda and Paul Jr; 5/3/12.  (Nadia photo) 
Last day of school for this generation, I think.


Starting in fall 1986, we've had between one and five children in school and working along through the so-familiar academic calendar.

But - after well-nigh 26 years - this could be the end.  PJr and Nedda graduated from law school today.  No other school plans on the horizon, as far as I know.

List of schools:
  • Liberty Elementary (N, C, K)
  • St. Thomas the Apostle (N, C, K, EP, PJr)
  • Cocopah middle school (K, PJr)
  • Chaparral high school (N, C, K, EP, PJr)
  • St. Mary's College (N)
  • ASU (N, C, PJr)
  • U of A (K, EP)

By the way, today's law school commencement was quite a nice affair.  Sandra Day O'Connor - for whom the ASU law school was named - gave a fine speech.  PJr and Nedda both graduated with honors.
Sandra Day O'Connor speech.
Also nice:  Saeed and Mina treated to a most excellent after-meal at the Persian Room, it was a great conclusion to the event.  (I drank doogh (دوغ‎ dūgh) for my first time - neat, I read that this drink goes back to classical Persia.)  Also, Patrick had shown up unexpectedly this morning (rerouting flight from CA to Seattle), which was quite the nice move.  Had a euchre game or two before he was whisked back to the airport.  PJ and I won, of course.
1st day our children attended school . . . Nicole at kindergarten, 9/3/86.



No comments: