"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Saturday, April 20, 2013

First house

There was a pretty big event in mid-April that was rather glossed over - I think because so much other stuff was going on right then.  PJr and Nedda closed on the purchase of their first home!  (And moved in just a few days later (April 13 weekend).)  (Roommates Nadia and Pumbaa followed along in a few days.)

kitchen crew in action in new house
PJr and Nedda found a really lovely place about three miles west/southwest from "Village Fairways" - a neighborhood we always liked (and actually looked at several places with a realtor during our wandering-years).  House is pretty recently constructed, in great shape, beautiful yard, mountain views (will stop since am sounding like a listing agent's ad).

Competing events that very weekend included a CPG birthday celebration in California (that included Nicole and EPG), Diamondbacks homestand keeping POC tied up, and a trip by the Reghabis.

kitchen crew posing
So that left Patricia and I as pretty much the only family members in town to assist with moving.  We had dinner with the housebuyers on Friday evening.  Then we helped them, after a fashion, for parts of Saturday and Sunday.  There is something tremendously exciting about the moving process, I never get tired of it. (Recalling the fun associated with the 7th/Washington move-in, discussed in the middle of this post.)  PJ seems to thrive in kitchen packing and kitchen set-up modes.  Nicole brought over lunch on Sunday (before going to another kickball loss), then we also had dinner there Sunday evening.

This will be a good place to gather.  First house = important marker.

(We did a lousy job of taking photos, so I'm just including the few cell phone shots that I have.)

Day two business:  new ping pong table (after hours of assembly work with Pat H)

No comments: