"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Thursday, January 23, 2014

Isakov - Ritter

A few notes about a concert attended by CPG, PJr, PJ, me at the new-ish Musical Instrument Museum in north Phoenix on January 20, 2014.

CPG, PJr, Isakov + band; lobby post-concert.

1.  We went to see the lead-in group - Gregory Alan Isakov - previously had seen him at Crescent Ballroom, like his stuff quite a bit.  But they were quite constrained in their lead-in role, or something - not that many songs, didn't really get going.  Perhaps we missed their banjo guy, who was absent.



2.  It turned out that the headliner - Josh Ritter (@joshritter) - something of a throw-in from our perspective - puts on an absolutely great show.  Very talented, great personality, side-men were strong - surprisingly enjoyable based on the limited amount of his work that I had checked out via YouTube.

3.  If I had to pick someone to carry a full show - probably Ritter.  If I had to pick five best songs - Isakov.

4.  MIM is a great venue, but not sure I loved it for this kind of show.  And the crowd skewed pretty old.

5.  Still:  we enjoyed muchly.

6.  Above clip = <1 minute of "Amsterdam."  Below clip = 1:10 from an encore (audio level a bit lower because they had come out from behind the mike).

 

No comments: