"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Thursday, October 30, 2014

Unexpected from Street View

[click to enlarge photos per usual]

I long assumed that Google's Street View was focused almost exclusively on urban areas.  And perhaps that was correct in its initial roll-out.  In any case, I've learned that the product long since has reached into rural areas as well.

Street View also is not about the art of composing photos.  Yet it often yields marvelous views.

July 2009:  looking south on U.S. Highway 169 in the heart of St. Joe, Iowa.  I really like how
the clouds look; also the light on the church.  The Street View car passed through
fairly early in the morning judging by the shadows on the highway etc.


A couple months ago I was poking around in Google Maps - checking out the (yes, rather dear) places in northern Iowa where I grew up - and was pleased to see that Street View is offering what turn out to be some thoroughly enjoyable perspectives on these decidedly rural places.

August 2009:  Highway 169 heading south on left side of picture; county blacktop heading west
on the right.  So this vantage point is a few hundred yards north of the picture above.  Three things of note:
(1) EMG mowing grass on the vacant lot just north of his house - where his uncle Billy Devine ran
a country store when I was a kid; (2) my parents' house on mid-left side of picture; (3) not very visible, but
the farm where my dad grew up is the first clump of trees on the right side of the road on right side of picture.
The purpose of this post is to keep track of screenshots of three Street Views from 2009 that I find unexpectedly effective.  They are posted here in the chronological order taken (oldest on top).

Note on the middle photo:  my dad tipped us off to this Street View gem - which includes him, a few months after his 80th birthday, mowing grass just north of their St. Joe residence.  Nice!

September 2009:  here's the farm on which I grew up.  I really like this photo.  
Partly because of the fall colors here - corn has turned color quite a bit, the trees in the grove just starting.  
The county blacktop - "P56" - heads straight north.

No comments: