
I noticed that today was the date on which man first set foot on the moon, back in 1969. So I checked my trusty diary. I wrote: “Great Day for history – Apollo XI landed on moon!!!!!!! Neil Armstrong was first man to set foot on moon. Watched it live on TV. Pictures were real clear. We could see everything. Armstrong and Edwin Aldrin (2nd on moon) did [sic]. Historic day.”
Of course, we’ve since learned that this whole performance was faked. (Even though none of the actual conspirators have been identified in 37 years, and it must have taken quite a few to pull off the deception.) As a 13-year-old, I clearly fell for the whole thing, and it was great Sunday-evening TV fare. I was pretty much into understatement in my diary entries, and still gave this event seven exclamation points.
The next days we were back to events of a more earth-bound nature, including separating 12 and 18 chickens, respectively, from their heads on Monday and Tuesday. Not to mention hauling corn for Barney Thilges and his brothers and some bean-walking.
You can click here for a video clip of Armstrong making his not-so-spontaneous quote about the giant leap for mankind.
No comments:
Post a Comment