"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Monday, July 03, 2006

Movie (sort of) review



We were going to the movies pretty regularly for awhile but have fallen out of the habit. But Saturday evening we went to see the movie version of the "Prairie Home Companion." Garrison Keillor wrote the script (not surprisingly). Robert Altman directed. As in several of his movies, he lined up a pretty long list of big name actors who presumably are performing at cut rates. Patricia and I both like it a lot. The story line rambled some, but I don’t think that was entirely unintentional. And sometimes they seemed to stretch a bit to work in the vagaries of live radio (e.g., the sound effects guy, what do you do when script papers are dropping all over the floor etc.) But those are very minor complaints. Meryl Streep and Lily Tomlin were very good as singing sisters, and Woody Harrelson and some other guy were funny as faux cowboy performers. Kevin Kline was funny. Etc. Then we had dinner at Chelsea’s Kitchen, which I can also recommend. Especially the roast chicken and Howie’s burger. Click here for info on the movie, and here for info on the restaurant.

No comments: