"In his domestic administration my father had this system . . . to keep a journal and insert in it all occurrences of any note . . . A record very pleasant to look at when time begins to efface the memory of events, and very well suited to get us out of perplexity: When was such and such a thing begun? When completed? What retinues came? How long did they stay? Our trips, our absences; marriages; deaths; the receipt of happy or unhappy news . . . An ancient custom, which I think it would be good to revive, each man in each man's home. And I think I am a fool to have neglected it." (Montaigne, Book I, Essay 35 (publ. 1580))

Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Whats going on in MN?



The natural order of things was disturbed last year. The Twins have reliably rebuffed the White Sox as long as I can remember . . . until 2005. Now things appear to be getting back to normal. The screenshot from today’s game (conclusion of three-game sweep) confirms things (and it was fun learning how to capture it).

Then there’s this Mauer kid (he of the ridiculous batting average). I saw a reference to a blog by “bat girl.” I understand that she focuses on the Twins and, in particular Mr. Mauer. She calls him “Chairman,” even though he looks nothing like Mao Tse Tung. In the spirit of the Great Leap Forward, there was a contest for “best slogan” involving the Chairman, including the following entries:

  • The Chairman is a shining son in the heart of the people's line-up

  • Mauer to the People OR Mauer to the Meople

  • Long Live Chairman Mauer's Bats O' Plenty and it Will Be Poured On

  • Once All Struggle is Grasped, Base Hits Are Possible--Chairman Mauer

  • Chairman Mauer's Great Guidance Gives Us Unlimited .OPS.

  • Crouching Mauer, Hitting Dragon

  • In Mauerist Minnesota, Sideburns Grow You.

  • The Chairman uses his bat and his arm to fire benevolent beams of distress against his AL Central foes

  • Sideburns, lumber and the gentle joy of victory. Vote Chairman!

  • The Chairman's Bat is Benevolence to the People and Misery to the Opposition

I’m guessing this all is quite fun for folks in the Twin Cities, not so much White Sox fans (especially bandwagon riders).

No comments: